What visitors need to know before they visit:
The Powerhouse Museum prioritises the health of our visitors, members, volunteers and our staff. Following NSW Health’s Public Health Orders, face masks are mandatory when visiting the Powerhouse Museum, Sydney Observatory and Museums Discovery Centre.
We have reduced our capacities to one person per 4 square metres and continue to undertake increased cleaning to reduce the likelihood of exposure and additional cleaning of touch points in exhibitions has also been implemented. Visitors must check in upon arrival through the QR code.
Any visitors who have visited one of the identified venues on the NSW Health list or have any cold or flu symptoms, should delay their visit.
- Powerhouse Museum and Sydney Observatory are open daily, 10am – 5pm
- Museums Discovery Centre is open on Saturday and Sunday only, 10am – 4pm
- Powerhouse Museum: most exhibitions, the Store and café and some public tours
- Sydney Observatory: exhibitions and gardens
- Museums Discovery Centre: exhibitions in the Display Store and some public tours
- Find out which exhibitions you can see on your visit.
- Visit What’s On for more information about upcoming public programs.
What’s closed in order to comply with NSW Health guidelines:
- Cloaking facilities
- Pram parking
- The Members lounge
- Tours at Sydney Observatory
What we’re asking visitors to do to keep everyone safe
- Don’t visit if you’re unwell, are experiencing cold or flu symptoms, or have returned from overseas or any known hotspot
- Provide your name and contact details on arrival.
- Bring a credit or debit card for any on-site purchases (we won’t be accepting cash).
- Avoid bringing large bags (you’ll have to carry any bag at your side or on your front).
- Consider downloading the COVIDSafe app.
During your visit:
- Use the hand-sanitiser provided on arrival.
- Keep at least 1.5 metres distance from others at all times.
- We strongly recommend wearing a face mask while visiting.
- Wait in a marked queue or go elsewhere if a particular space has too many people.
- Allow less-mobile visitors to use elevators first or consider using the ramps.
- Cough and sneeze into elbows or a tissue, and put the tissue in a bin.
- Wash hands with soap for at least 20 seconds in our restrooms.
- Visitors who don’t comply with these conditions will not be admitted or will be asked to leave to ensure the safety of all.
What we are doing to keep everyone safe:
- There are separate entry and exit doors, floor markings and signage to help visitors maintain safe distances.
- Each space has a maximum capacity, based on keeping at least 1.5 metres distance between people at all times.
- Please follow instructions from staff.
- We’re cleaning frequently with hospital-grade disinfectants, and high-touch items are sanitised after each use.
- We’ve provided hand sanitisers at the entry and at various places throughout the building.
Group bookings FAQs
- We encourage online pre-bookings for groups of 10+ people for Powerhouse Museum, Sydney Observatory and Museums Discovery Centre .
- Tickets can be printed at home or shown on your mobile device at the entry.
For more information for to make changes to your booking, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please let us know about your access requirements
- Information and assistance is available from staff at:
- The Powerhouse: level 3 entry
- Sydney Observatory: the East Dome situated to the right of the entry gates and reception inside the main building
- Museums Discovery Centre: at the welcome desk on arrival
- For more information please email email@example.com or call 9217 0222