The Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences replicas of the US space agency NASA’s 2011 Curiosity Mars Rover.
The quarter-scale replica rovers were built by the museum’s own workshop team, using 3D printed and off-the-shelf components. They followed the instructions provided in open-source schematics that NASA published to encourage learning and a deeper interest in its Mars missions at institutions all over the world. The rovers are controlled with programmable electronics including the open-source languages for Arduino and Rasberry Pi along with Unity.
Every Saturday and Sunday in August, the Museums Discovery Centre will host four 30-minute sessions where you can drop in on a demonstration of our rovers in action as they roam inside and outside.
Hosts will be available to answer questions and engage in conversation about the autonomous robotics generally, design process and technology involved in this robot, the current missions exploring Mars and what this all means for the search for life elsewhere in our Solar System.
This free activity is fun for all ages. No bookings are required.
To help plan your visit, please find information here about the measures we’ve put in place in response to COVID-19 to keep everyone safe.
Now open every weekend, free of charge
- To visit, simply arrive at the entry between 10am – 3.30pm and scan our QR code to enter at the door
- All visitors to the Powerhouse Museum, Sydney Observatory and Museums Discovery are required to wear a face mask. Please bring your own mask when visiting. Any visitors who have visited one of the identified venues on the NSW Health list or have any cold or flu symptoms, should delay their visit.
- Visitors wishing to pre-book their visit can do so here:
- Interactive activities remain suspended until restrictions ease.
- To help plan your visit, please find information here about the measures we’ve put in place to keep everyone safe. Visitors are required to provide their name and contact details on arrival to support contact tracing in line with NSW Health rules and our COVID-Safe plan.
- If you wish to bring a group, or have any accessibility questions about your visit, please contact us at email@example.com or call 9217 0222.